Monday, February 12, 2007

The Weekend and school

More pictures...click on the link below, which will take you to Kodak Gallery. Once there, click on the yellow "view slideshow" button.

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=sdvg5ki.831r0nmm&Uy=1w7hbt&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=532425672585_140238806206

Delaney's first week at school went well. She really likes it. She's learned words for Chinese food (although she never remembers them when we ask her). She doesn't know her friends' names yet. She is the only American in her class. They go to gym twice a week, which is when she wears her sports attire. They also have music class once a week, which she really enjoyed! So all is well there!

Our Slingbox is up and working! So we are finally keeping up on some American TV! For those of you who don't know what it is....it's a system that allows us to watch tv on our computer. It's hooked up at Brian and Heather's house in Michigan, so we essentially get to watch their tv! Thanks guys!!! If you want more info on this, go to www.slingmedia.com

We went to the Arab district in Singapore on Saturday. We wandered around and took some pictures. Lots of shophouses were selling fabrics. Too bad I can't sew! We saw a couple of mosques on our walk. We wandered through Bugis Street, which used to be where the trans genders hung out. It's now a huge street market. There were tons of people there. I don't know if it's always that busy or if it was so busy because Chinese New Year starts this weekend. We then headed to a mall with a Toys R Us. Delaney lost her princess purse on Thursday and was devastated, so we wanted to get another one. We ended up walking forever to get there. There was a sign at the MRT (the subway) station directing us to the mall, so we figured it would be right there. Instead we walked through several different shopping areas (all inside and connected) to get there. After, we headed to dinner at an Italian restaurant (our weekly "American" food). We were starving, so we ordered too much (we ate it all, but it was pricier than we'd planned!)

Sunday we headed to a park called East Coast Park and just kind of wandered. We wanted to check out the water park there for future visits, but it was closed for renovation. There were lots of people, mainly locals, barbecuing. It smelled yummy. Delaney ended up getting McDonald's and playing on their playground. When we got home we went swimming, which leads to great news.....Delaney can "swim" on her own. She's able to go a short distance and not have her head go under water! She even will jump in the pool, have no one catch her, turn around and swim back to the edge! Derek and I are both amazed at the progress she's made since we've gotten here. I'm sure the swimming lessons she took in the fall really helped!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how most of Singapore's shopping malls are connected underground. When it is especially hot and humid out, it's nice to be able to walk around and not get hot. I did find it hard to remember where stores are in all of the malls. I went with a local one day and it was amazing how well they knew their way around the malls.

So I've heard what Delaney's up to. And I think Derek's busy working... but what's Melissa up to?

Anonymous said...

Poor Delaney with the lost purse :( I'm so sad to hear that. Did she like her new one?