Monday, March 5, 2007

Balloon Ride!

In the city, there's a helium balloon that you can ride. It is tethered to the ground and goes about 150 meters into the air. From the second that Delaney saw it, she's wanted to go on it. She finally had her chance this weekend. We, of course, didn't tell her that we were going to go and ride it. So when we got close to it, she asked if she could ride it and was super excited when we finally said yes. She was not scared at all when we were so high. She got a little concerned when we couldn't see Derek on the ground anymore (he decided to sit this one out). But other than that, she loved it. She even recognized a lot of the sights that we've visited on the ground.

Later that day we went to get dinner. Delaney is becoming somewhat of an adventurous eater. Since we've been here, she's tried soup, fish, cheeseburgers, and a few other random things. At dinner, she had the choice of chicken nuggets, a cheeseburger, or steak. We would bet that she would have chosen the nuggets or burger, but she chose the steak! At first we were happy that she's branching out but quickly realized our dinner budget may soon be gone if she continues fancying steak!

While on the topic of food, we may have to admit Derek to a 12 step program when we get back to the States. He has become addicted to a dish called Chicken Rice. He gets it every single day at lunch! He loves the sauce that it is served with and is consuming the sauce in larger and larger amounts each day. It's a spicy sauce (I don't like it, not that that should surprise anyone!) and at first, he could only eat a little of the sauce. Now he claims that it's almost a rush feeling the burning sensation in his mouth as he eats! So, if any of you could check into a program for him, I would appreciate it! I'm not sure I'll be able to find the Singapore special Chicken Rice sauce back home to minimize the withdrawals!

We've booked our trip to Australia! We leave the 16th and get back the 25th. We'll spend 4 days in Sydney and 4 on the Gold Coast (near Brisbane). We are looking forward to it!

I spoke with someone at an international kindergarten about volunteering a couple of days a week while Delaney is at school. I hope that it works out as it would give me something to do during the time she's at school. The principal seemed quite excited and even said that if we were staying past July, she would give me a job.

I will post pics of the balloon ride once I have them uploaded!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa-
You sure seem lucky to have this guy named Derek. My view (as a doctor) is that a 12 step chicken rice program is far better than other 12 step programs. It seems like the whole is better than the parts with you two when you think about your equilibrium problems and his chicken rice addition. Keep up the blog....Meredith and I love it.
~ McDreamy

Anonymous said...

I thought that you had tons of stuff to do while Delaney is at school?!? Now you're saying you don't have enough to do?

I'm confused....

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are having so much fun! I miss you and can't wait to see you . . . whenever that may be! I will try and give you a call soon. Have fun in Australia.