Saturday, June 21, 2008

We Have a Bike Rider in Our Family!!!


At just four years old (yes, she will be five in about 2 weeks, but still...), we have a girl who is riding a bike WITHOUT TRAINING WHEELS!!!  We started practicing about a week ago.  In this digital age, I did some research on the internet to see how to help kids learn to ride.  The most helpful piece of advice I found was to hold onto the child's shoulders instead of the seat or handle bars.  So, that's what we did.  We practiced Thursday and Friday (Derek and I never let go of her just to help build confidence).  Saturday night I let go, and off she went!  She was riding all by herself...Derek and I are both so proud of her.  Tonight, she started to feel very comfortable going in circles and getting herself started (the bike is just a smidge too big...she can't quite reach the ground with her feet, toes yet, feet, no...this makes getting started a little more difficult.)  If you want to see the videos, email one of us or leave a comment on the blog.  The darker video is from Saturday (the first time she rode by herself), and the lighter video is from tonight.  As you can see from the lighter video, she had her first major crashes.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray Delaney!!! i would love to see the video! :)